Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tex Mex Chicken Chili

Okay... So I have to admit I almost chickened out of keeping this going.  My work schedule has also been a little hectic and getting in the way of me cooking as much as I would like.  I had planned on breaking out the slow cooker for a recipe I had wanted to try, but ended up getting the groceries and throwing it together tonight after work.  I typically don't like to cook when I get home from work because it's usually at least 8:30 PM and I am usually beat.  However, this one was easy and pretty brainless to put together.



For Christmas last year my Dad got me "1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes" by Carol Fenster.  I have a couple go-to recipes in this cookbook and love her "White Chili."  I used this as an inspiration, but made some adjustments and added more veggies.  Love the results!


Tex-Mex Chicken Chili

Makes 6 Servings

2 teaspoons olive oil (I almost always use olive oil)
1 pound ground chicken (could sub ground turkey)
2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
2 cans (14 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
10 oz package of frozen corn
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped (okay I love garlic and usually double it in recipes... so maybe 2?)
2 bell peppers, chopped (any combo of colors will work)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Extras: chopped cilantro, dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips…



In a dutch oven (or another large, heavy pot with a lid) heat oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook one minute, stirring frequently (garlic burns fast if you don’t watch it).  Add the onions and cook another 2-3 minutes until they become translucent.  Then add the ground chicken and cook through about 7-10 minutes.



Then add oregano, cumin, salt, and cayenne to the mixture and cook another minute.  Next add the peppers and black beans and cook another two minutes.  Then add the diced tomatoes and chicken broth.   Toss in the frozen corn and stir the kernels in.  



Place the lid back on and cook on medium heat for another 30 to 40 minutes.  Then top with your favorite toppings.  

I just added shredded cheese...  yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment