Saturday, September 22, 2012

Places that get it right.... Beauty and Essex

So as I have previously mentioned, I love going out to eat with friends.  Obviously, taking gluten out of the equation has changed things up a bit.  For those who worry about gluten, you can imagine my initial sense of fear when I found out we were going to Beauty and Essex.  I had heard of it and The Stanton Social, both restaurants of Chris Santos, who is also a judge on "Chopped."  Now I wasn't afraid of the food, because I had only heard good things about both places, but of the idea of shared plates.  Can I find things that I can eat?  What about sharing utensils (AHH cross contamination!!!)?  Where do I even begin with my list of questions with a menu that big?  I decided that worst case scenario I would just order my own thing just to satisfy my own neuroses.  After all, it's just one dinner.

After walking through the false storefront outfitted like an old-fashioned pawn shop, you reach the gorgeous dimly lit interiors and, most importantly, the bar.  The cocktails were delicious.  We all decided on the "Ruby Mojito," which was just the right amount of fruity and I can never say no to anything mixed with St. Germain.  After waiting for the rest of our group to arrive, we went upstairs to our table.  A large round table perfect for our table of 8 ladies.



Shortly after being seated, I mention to our waitress that I couldn't eat gluten (see my tips for eating out G-free) and much to my delight they had a gluten-free menu.  This immediately made me feel more comfortable.  I didn't have to guess about ingredient lists, comb through the large menu, and ask a never-ending list of questions.  The GF menu was definitely more limited than the rather large regular menu, but it still featured plenty of options.  While ordering, the waitress then asked which of the items that we ordered would I be eating so that she could make a note of it for the kitchen.  So even before the food comes out, I am already a fan of this place.

What I ate:
-Yellowtail crudo
-Crispy BBQ fries
-Roasted Sweet Corn with avocado, lime, and manchego
-Pan Roasted Scallops with smoked tomato and local corn risotto 
-Brick Pressed Chicken with creamy mascarpone polenta, blistered tomato (usually comes with Sicilian style breadcrumbs, but we got it without)

The yellowtail crudo was simple, clean, and a great way to start.  Both sides were pretty addictive.  The BBQ fries (fried separately from other fried foods) were crispy and coated in some BBQ dust.  I had to force them to the other side of the table because they were that good.  This is the best way I have ever had corn.  It was packed with flavor from the creaminess of the avocado and acidity from the lime.  Just a different way of thinking about corn and something I want to re-create in my own kitchen.

Both mains were outstanding as well.  The scallops were perfectly cooked and the risotto was the perfect complement.  My favorite of the night had to be the chicken.  The brick-pressed preparation left the chicken crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.  The tomatoes were perfectly blistered and created a sort of sauce over the dish.  The polenta was almost life-changing.  I have made polenta before but it doesn't even resemble this magnificent creation.  I want this recipe!

Most importantly, I was able to participate in the group meal and felt like I was in good hands.  I hope more places can became as G-free friendly as Beauty and Essex.  A great dinner with even better company!



Oh and how could I forget the champagne bar (FREE!) in the bathroom.  Definitely beats out the woman handing you paper towels and offering up Altoids.

No comments:

Post a Comment