Sunday, September 30, 2012

GFree Pork Stir-Fry

Growing up, I always loved ordering Chinese food with my family.  We would always order a bunch of dishes and share them.  Now, when I go home, the discussion about what to have for dinner is a little more complicated.  I learned to cook from my dad, although I don't think I will ever come close to matching him in the kitchen.  He has taken me being gluten-free as a new challenge in the kitchen.  I have been missing Chinese food and had been wanting to do a stir fry.  We made this stir-fry the last time I was home and I just made it again this weekend.  



Pork Stir-Fry
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
1 lb pork tenderloin
2 red peppers, sliced
2 cups snap peas, halved
1 white onion, sliced into rings
2 large carrots, sliced
3 tbsp Argo cornstarch 
8 tbsp San-J Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce
1 14-oz can Chicken Broth (I use low sodium)
Canola or vegetable oil

Start by prepping vegetables.  You can use any combination, but I like this combination for the difference in flavors, colors, and textures.  


 


Then add 1 tbsp of oil to a wok or large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat.  (I used a wok and it is much easier for tossing the vegetables.  I cooked the vegetables in batches because it allows you to get the right doneness of each vegetable.)  






Cook the peppers and onions together in the wok for a few minutes.  When cooked, but stil with a bite, place them in a large bowl.  



Then cook the carrots for a few minutes (these take the longest).  In the last minute of cooking, add the snap peas.  When cooked through  I did the peppers and onions first and then put them in a large bowl.  Then I did the carrots for a few minutes and put the snap peas in for just a minute.  When those are done, add them to the bowl as well.



For the pork, you should slice it in 1/2 inch slices.  Pat the pork dry and then add it to a ziploc bag with 2 tbsp of Argo cornstarch.  You can leave this step out but it adds some extra texture to the pork.  Before cooking the pork, add another tbsp of oil to the wok and heat until the oil sizzles when you drop some cornstarch in it.  Cook the pork in a single layer over the surface of the wok.  You may need to cook in two batches.  When it starts to burn on one side, flip all slices.  It only takes a few minutes on each side.  



When the pork is done add back all of the vegetables and the Teriyaki sauce and toss to coat.  Then add   about 6 oz of chicken broth to the pan and wait for it to start to boil. 



Make a "slurry" of one tbsp of cornstarch and about 3 tbsp chicken broth in a small bowl.  When the liquid starts to boil, add the slurry.  This will help to thicken the sauce.  Once the sauce thickens, it's ready to serve.  

The slurry mixture... helps to thicken up the sauce.



I served mine over brown rice.  



It was really great, but only kept like one day in the fridge.  I think the cornstarch just doesn't hold up as well as leftovers.  I am definitely going to keep working on stir fry because I really like the method and there are so many possibilities.  


No comments:

Post a Comment