Friday, September 21, 2012

Eating Out Gluten-Free


The restaurant scene is one of the things I love most about living in New York.   I consider myself a foodie and vowed to not let being GF get in the way.   However, dining out and being g-free can sometimes be an adventure.  Sometimes people look at you like you have six heads and other times people surprise you with their knowledge on gluten-free food and willingness to accommodate your diet.  Recently, I am finding the latter to be the case more and more.  

If you are recently gluten-free, I’m sure you have realized that eating out is different than it used to be pre-GFness.  Here is my list of tips that I have learned (after several missteps) during the past year...


Tips on eating out G-free

1.  Know where you are going ahead of time...

If someone else is picking the restaurant, just ask them what their plans are.  If they say they want to go to "The House of Pizza," "Fred's Fried Food,"  or something else that sounds like the menu may be gluten-laden, maybe remind the person that you are can't eat gluten.  I find that people often forget that I can't eat certain things and are more than willing to pick a place where I can definitely find something.  No one that is worth going out to dinner with would ever want you to starve through dinner. 

2.  Do some research....

Most restaurants post their menu online so you can get a head start on planning out options for yourself.  I almost always look at menus ahead of time so I can at least find some options and then know what questions I need to ask when I get there.  You could also call up ahead of time to make sure that they can accommodate your needs.  

3.  Don't go to dinner starving...

Unless you are going to a Mexican restaurant that serves corn chips, waiting through the bread basket can be brutal.  I have been to a few places that have gluten-free rolls, which is always a pleasant surprise.  Most of the time, this is not the case.  So have a small snack (an apple, a piece of cheese, or something else light) before dinner.  Also not a bad idea if you have the tendency to attack your main course because you're so hungry.  

4.  Split an appetizer....

I usually will split an app with a friend when I go out to dinner.  It can be kind of lonely being the only one not chowing down on the bread basket.  So I sometimes split a salad (no croutons, obv) or something else g-free.

5.  Tell the waiter as soon as you sit down that you are gluten-free....

Some places have gluten-free menus that aren't featured online (like in the case of Beauty and Essex, which I will be posting about soon!).  If you mention it at the start of the meal, then you can get the menu in time to look at it while your friends look at their menus.  Also, you can get all of your questions out of the way ahead of time.  If they can't answer your questions, then they can grab someone else who is more knowledgeable about the food preparation at the restaurant.



6.  Ask for alterations…

You aren’t being a diva by asking for them to sub mashed potatoes, rice, veggies, or another GF-friendly side for something that you can’t eat.   Restaurants are usually willing to oblige.  So if the place hasn’t offered something as an option, there is no harm in asking.  And this goes the same for dressings, sauces, preparations of protein, and anything else.  If they have a panko-breaded halibut, there is no reason you can’t at least ask to have just grilled halibut. 

7.  Be wary of gluten-free pizza and pasta…

Many places are offering gluten-free pizzas and pastas.  That’s great…. if they are preparing them correctly.  If I see one pizza prep area and one small pizza oven, I am going to be a little incredulous as to how they make “gluten-free pizza.”  I have also been “gluten-poisoned” at a very reputable restaurant because they faltered at some point in the preparation of my dinner.  I generally choose to stay away from both of these, because it is not worth it to me to feel that terrible. 

8.  Know your gluten vocabulary…

I did a lot of Internet research when I started being g-free and read a lot of lists.  Here is one from the Mayo Clinic that includes what you can and cannot eat.  If you’re out and about and have a smart phone, just Google “[ingredient] and gluten-free.” 

9.  Ask about hidden gluten…

When I say “hidden gluten,” I mean things that can be thrown into a dish commonly without being mentioned in the menu description.  Flour, breadcrumbs, panko, soy sauce, croutons, and sides of bread (placed in the dish itself) have all tripped me up before and can often fly under the radar.  I always clarify that none of these are in the dish, because they can be easily forgotten. 

10.  Maybe there is still room for a dessert…

Most desserts are out of the question for me now, but there are a few things you can still enjoy.   Crème brulee, flan, panna cotta, crème caramel, meringues, macarons (as long as they are made with almond flour), and coconut macaroons are generally safe.  And, hey, there’s always a scoop of plain ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment