Thursday, October 4, 2012

Apple-Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa

I'm going out to dinner and then out of town, so I knew that I wouldn't really be cooking dinner in the next few days.  I thought about being a little more creative with my breakfast and came up with this "Apple-Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa."

I am usually pretty simple when it comes to breakfast.  On work days, I grab a Kind bar at my coffee shop and eat it at some point during the start of my work day.  On days off, I usually grab a bowl of Chex with sliced banana, bowl of GF oatmeal, or an omelette if I'm being a little more ambitious.  Since going G-free, I have been reading a lot of recipes on blogs and have read several about quinoa for breakfast.  I have had quinoa several times as a savory dish, but never for breakfast.

The blog "Queen of Quinoa" is on my list of must-read blogs for being gluten-free and her recipe for "Strawberry and Peach Quinoa Breakfast" has been on my list of recipes-to-try and the possibilities are seemingly endless.  I wasn't really in love with the fruit selection at the grocery store, but couldn't help but notice all of the apples.  Apples and autumn just go hand in hand.  So I came up with this combination and was really happy with the results.


Apple-Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa 
Serves 1

Ingredients
1 cup cooked quinoa (quinoa really plumps up when you cook it)
1 tbsp almond butter (could swap with peanut butter or any other nut butter)
1 tbsp honey (could swap with agave or maple syrup)
3 tbsp skim milk
1 apple, diced
3 tbsp yellow raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt (optional, but helps to balance the flavor)




Combine all ingredients, except half of the diced apple pieces, in a small sauce pan over very low heat.  Stir to combine ingredients.  Cook until the ingredients are well combined and the raisins start to plump up.  If it becomes to thick, you can add another splash of skim milk.  Add the reserved apple pieces to the top.  Serve immediately.




I really like this recipe and it reminds me of apple-cinnamon oatmeal.  I actually like it better because it is really filling without feeling heavy.  I definitely am going to be trying other flavor combinations in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment